Monday, December 20, 2010

The Anna Quilt

Anna Maria Horner is one of my favorite fabric designers lately. When I saw this stack of fabric, I knew it'd be perfect for a baby quilt for my niece Anna.

It started out as just a random patchwork quilt, but I didn't like the look of the randomness. So I designed a 4 block pattern made up of blocks of 4 of the same color.

I quilted it in a diagonal pattern through the squares





And for the back, I just used up some random lengths of leftover fabric.

All folded up!

I learned a few important things with this quilt. First of all, the batting matters. I usually use Warm and Natural, but when I went to the store they were out. So I got some cheap-o stuff that was lumpy and uneven. I got the entire thing quilted and had to tear it all out, get some Warm and Natural and start over. Second, I learned the importance of a walking foot. This fabric is voile - it is not normal quilting cotton. It feels almost like silk and makes for a super-soft quilt, but it is very slippery. Finally, I learned how fun and important it is to design a quilt instead of just winging it (like I usually do).

1 comment: