Friday, November 4, 2011

Baby Lucas' quilt

Oh, my poor, neglected project blog. Lack of posts does not mean lack of projects. Our good friends Ellie and Nick had their first baby in September. I made them this little guy:

It's a pattern and fabric I bought at the Stitchin' Post in Sisters, OR when we were in Bend in May.

And here is the quilt:
This was of the more challenging quilts I've made from a design perspective. I bought the pattern here since I fell in love with this, and I just had the hardest time getting the right combo of fabrics.

Since binding quilts is my least favorite part of quilting, I tried a new technique my mother-in-law taught me. Essentially, what you do is if you are backing with minky (which I hate working with, but it is so soft and cozy), you cut it about an inch wider around.

And then you just fold it over twice onto the front, pin and sew! Definitely easier, but it doesn't give quite a clean, finished look.
I free motion quilted it - here is the back:



No comments:

Post a Comment